Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Sunday that the Trump administration will continue its “peaceful pressure” campaign on North Korea after the rogue nation fired multiple ballistic missiles a day earlier.
“We continue to want the Kim regime to understand there is a different path he can choose,” Tillerson told Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday.”
“There is a unified international voice echoing our message that no one wants to see a nuclearized Korean peninsula, so we’re all unified in our message to see a denuclearized Korean peninsula. We hope for the opportunity to engage with them as to how we might achieve that.”
Saturday’s launches were the first since new sanctions were passed by the United Nations Security Council in early August in retaliation for previous missile launches.
Tillerson last week said that he was pleased with Pyongyang’s restraint in recent weeks.
“We hope that this is the beginning of this signal that we’ve been looking for — that they are ready to restrain their level of tensions, they’re ready to restrain their provocative acts and that perhaps we are seeing our pathway to sometime in the near future having some dialogue,” Tillerson said on Tuesday.
When asked on Sunday whether he was wrong to make those comments, Tillerson said it is too early to tell.
“I don’t know that we were wrong Chris, I think it’s going to take some time to tell,” he said.
“They’re still messaging us as well that they’re not prepared to completely back away from their position. Having said that, we’re going to continue our peaceful pressure campaign working with allies, working with China as well to see if we can bring the regime in Pyongyang to the negotiating table.”